The minimum order quantity per strain is 20 litres, but there are exceptions. The only reason for this minimum quantity is that we cannot “sacrifice” a complete mother spawn to make just 1 bag of spawn. In case it is a strain we sell often, there is no minimum order because we can make your product simultaneously with other orders. As this is highly unpredictable, we cannot advertise it on our website.
Can you order just one or two bags? Yes you can. Professionals are always allowed to order small quantities and samples, also less than 20 litres, and if it is not possible we will let you know. Anyway, this is more expensive than larger quantities, taking into account man hours and transport costs and an administrative fee of 30 EUR.
We are a website for professionals. For hobbyists it may be advisable to order directly from our network of resellers for hobby customers. They can provide you with services tailored to your needs.”
Yes, you should.
The final yield of a strain decreases with time, there is no method which can prevent this effect. This is a universal truth for all mycelium products.
But the time you can keep your product depends largely on the generation of your product.
- In case of 1st generation mycelium, you can store the products at 2°C – 35,6 °F for at least 6 months before using them – on the condition that you use them for further multiplications.
- For 2nd or 3rd generation mycelium this storage period at 2°C – 35,6 °F should not be longer than 4 months. A stringent quality control of the subsequent steps is required.
- For 4th generation spawn, the storage time at 2°C – 35,6 °F should be as short as possible. We always send our products off fresh – if it is in your cooling for another two weeks, there is no problem. But every day you keep the spawn will decrease the quality of the inoculum. On the other hand, you don’t want to run the risk of having no inoculum for whatever reason (transport issues, strikes, etc). For that reason, a small stock at the grower’s location is often preferred even if this triggers some yield losses.
As a rule of thumb: even if buying fresh mycelium products is not cheap, it usually saves time and money in the end. Do not make any compromises where freshness is concerned, unless there is no other way.
You will receive your spawn order between 4 and 7 weeks after payment, depending on the species and transport.
1. Of some products we have a (limited!) stock. In this case, delivery time can sometimes be shorter.
2. Some species grow extremely slow / some transports are complicated. In this case, delivery time can sometimes be longer.
We only produce after receiving your payment. Usually, production takes 4-6 weeks and shipping 1-5 days. The sooner you pay, the faster we can dispatch. We only give indications of delivery time, not a guarantee because we have no control over transport companies.
We understand your concern, but Mycelia is not a fastfood restaurant. We cannot ship in 24H, like Amazon. After all, we are dealing with living fungi, who need to be fresh upon arrival.
So we still have to grow your order, after you purchased it from us. Thank you for your patience, so that we can grow at a natural speed.
Please check the earliest shipping date for your product before ordering. Thanks for your patience.
There are two types:
- Spawn orders < 20 litres can often be a problem. See FAQ above “What is your minimum order quantity for mushroom spawn?”
- Medium sized orders that can only be delivered via “Keep Cool Airfreight” we do accept but are not recommended – see FAQ below “What shipping options do you offer? / Which companies do the shipping? / Is it keep cool?”
It is important to make a distinction between generations 1, 2 and 3 on the one hand, and generation 4 on the other hand.
We have been shipping cultures and mother spawn (generations 1, 2 and 3) to every country in the world since 1980.
However, your own country may impose import restrictions for mycelium. Good examples are New-Zealand, Australia and many island states.
4th generation spawn is usually produced and sold locally.
We frequently get requests for intercontinental spawn shipments, but we do not encourage this. The costs and the shipping risks are too high – we have experienced many problems with delay and overheating in the past that were beyond our control, but for which we had to pay the bill.
If you are willing to take the responsibility and the organisation of the expensive transport beyond the Belgian airport yourself, and if shipment occurs with a direct flight from Belgium, you can also order 4th generation of spawn via airfreight and we will be happy to serve you.
Otherwise, we would strongly recommend you to produce or buy your spawn locally. Want more information? See FAQ “How about temperature conditions? Do you ship when it’s hot?”
No, it is not possible to return a delivery.
Our products are living organisms, not a pair of shoes. They would not survive an extra journey. If you wish to refuse a delivery because of damage, follow the protocol described in the above FAQ “How should I inspect my shipment and what to do when there is damage?”
Yes. You cannot make an order without a personal account.
Creating a personal account is easy, fast and has the following advantages: from now on you have an overview of all orders made through the webshop, you don’t have to repeat all the information every time, you can keep your personal information up to date and you can communicate about an order in your account.
And don’t worry, we won’t share your personal information with anyone, ever.
The system accepts only passwords that are at least 12 characters long and contain at least 1 capital letter and one “special” character or number.
The system will also only allow 1 account per email address. Perhaps you already exist in the system. In that case, reset your password. Follow the instructions of the FAQ below “I forgot my login / password”
Your login is always your email address.
Your password is chosen by you personally. Mind you: the system accepts only passwords that are at least 12 characters long and contain at least 1 capital letter and one “special” character or number.
If you do not remember your password: no problem. You can click on “Lost your Password?”. Then enter your email address and click “RESET PASSWORD”. You will now receive an email with a reset link. Choose a new password, login and you’re back on track!
If you try to reset your password, but the system says “Invalid username or email”, your email is not known = you have never had an account on this email address with us before. You are free to create a brand new account with this email address. But before you do so, check the following common mistakes:
- You misspelled your email address
- You have an account on another email address
We are sorry for the inconvenience! If you have not received an order confirmation email, it is probably due to one of the following:
- The email address in your personal account contains a spelling error
- The confirmation email may be hiding in your junk/spam folder if our “mycelia.be” domain is not on your safe sender list. If you know how to do this, add us as a “safe sender” as soon as you find your email
- Your order was not actually placed or processed due to a connection problem. Check the “My Orders” section of your customer account to make sure your order has been placed. If not: submit your order again. Don’t worry, we won’t send you the double amount of products
- You can also search for “Mycelia” or the name of the product(s) you ordered in your email folders to find all related emails
Still cannot find your mail or cannot order? Ok, this is weird. Please contact us.
No need to worry! Forward the confirmation email you received and send it to email@example.com and tell us us what you would like to change. The sooner you contact us, the better.
We only produce after receiving your payment. Make sure your order is correct! Once in production, changes of strain and product or adjustments to the quantity are not possible anymore.
No. You can only order from the webshop.
No. You can only order from the webshop.
If you are a new customer, we only produce after receiving your payment. If an order is not yet in production, this is how you cancel: do not pay.
Unfortunately, once an order is paid and is in production we are unable to change or cancel it. Between you payment and your order being produced, there is a delay of 0 – 4 working days.
Exception: If your order is a popular strain which we can sell to a third party without delay, you may still change or cancel. We can never guarantee this, but we will always look for the best possible solution for both parties.
If you are an existing customer: you may not be required to pay in advance. In this case, we count on you to warn us as soon as possible if there are changes. The sooner we know this, the easier it is to change or cancel an order.
If you didn’t receive an answer within 3 working days, something went wrong.
We receive many orders daily and go through them carefully. Therefore, it may take 1 to 3 working days before you receive an answer from us with a corresponding price proposal. No e-mails are written over the weekend or during bank holidays, because we like to give our staff a break.
Did you check this:
- Maybe our reply ended up in your junk/spam-box? In that case, please add our e-mail address to your safe senders list.
- To find all related emails in your email folders you can also search for “Mycelia” or the name of the products you ordered.
- Did you receive a confirmation e-mail after you ordered? If not, check the FAQ “I have placed an order, but I have not received a confirmation e-mail”
If you still cannot find our reply, something has gone wrong or our reply seems to be unusually delayed. We are sorry for the inconvenience! Please contact us and include the order number in the subject of the email. We will be at your service as soon as possible.
TRANSPORT & DELIVERY TIME
You will receive an email from us, confirming your shipping date.
If your shipment leaves with DHL or another courier, you will also receive a track & trace code from them in your mailbox.
Sure you can. If you wish for the shipment to arrive at a specific moment, mention this in the text box “order notes” during checkout in the webshop.
Of course, if the delivery time of a product is 4 weeks, you cannot request delivery before that time. If you do not specify a delivery date to us, we will ship as soon as the products are ready.
We will confirm the shipping date to you before sending your order. Keep a lookout for our confirmation email.
In your personal “Account dashboard” of the website (click on your name – top right corner of the page), you can change your account information, your delivery address, or add an additional delivery addresses. During checkout, you can also change the delivery address.
If you forgot your login or password, check the FAQ above “I forgot my login / password”
This is our recommendation:
- Open the boxes and take out the bags.
- Place them on wire shelves in a clean fridge, not mixed with anything else.
- Set the temperature to 1 – 2 °C (33,8 – 35,6 °F).
- Take out only what you need just before using it.
First of all, you should always inspect your goods on arrival!
It not an easy one. In the event that there is an issue, it’s important to carefully follow the instructions below to ensure that your shipping claim can be resolved.
In order to take your claim into consideration, the courier needs the following information:
– Shipment number
– Copy of the purchasing invoice of the missing/damaged goods
– Weight of the missing/damaged goods
– Photos of the damaged goods/packaging
– In case your parcel was left out in the hot sun willingly, photos of the parcel(s) as you found them
All freight companies are required to allow you up to 15-30 minutes to inspect your delivery for damage or missing parts. This means that you should make a complete inspection of your shipment to check for overheated spawn, dented boxes, broken pallets, etc. We highly recommend opening at least 1 box regardless of how it looks to inspect for damage that may not be obvious.
- In the event that your order is damaged (minor or major), it should be noted by writing the word “DAMAGED” on both the driver copy and your copy of the delivery note, along with a description of the damage.
- Items missing from your order need to written down as “ORDER INCOMPLETE“.
In case of mycelium shipments, there is always a chance of overheating, which is known as CONCEALED DAMAGE. This is the correct term for damage that is not immediately evident. If you wish to claim concealed damage, you must:
- document the damage with a readout of the temperature logger,
- with photographs,
- and descriptions,
- and send to the shipper immediately within 24 hours.
Shipping companies are usually not liable for any shipments that were accepted without a notation of damage on the shipping receipt. Our advice is to write down “UNABLE TO INSPECT CONCEALED DAMAGE UPON ARRIVAL” on the delivery note. Never accept the shipments without any notice.
It is critical that the driver also sign and initial both copies of the delivery note if any damage is present. By noting damage on the driver’s copy, this ensures that there is written proof that damage was noted at the time of delivery. By having the driver sign your copy, this ensures that you have proof that the driver signed in your presence.
Do not refuse delivery of a damaged shipment. If you do, the refusal will invalidate any damage claims and will only create return shipping and storage fees. If you do this, then the driver will take the shipment back to the shipping hub and there will not be a damage report. This will simply cause any damage claim to be invalidated and in worst case, it may even also incur storage fees and return shipping fees that will be billed back to you.
Be sure to keep a copy of the receipt, as this will be vital in processing a shipping claim. Also send a copy of your claim to us, together with the readout of your temperature graph.
Hold on to your damaged shipment and store in a fridge. Do not dispose of the shipment as evidence of damage is important. The freight company may require an inspection of damages as well.
Did the driver just drop off the shipment without notification and the shipment is damaged? In this case, take pictures and file a damage claim without delay.
We cannot ship every product to every place in the world all year round. We do our best to create the best conditions with the most favourable temperature for your transport. We must, if the case arises, postpone your transport if the ambient temperature could endanger your products.
Warning: Mycelium is extremely sensitive to its biggest enemy during transportation: temperature.
When mycelium is transported in warm conditions (> 5°C – 41°F), it will start to grow. As a result, it will self-heat. The larger the volume, the worse this effect. This causes 2 main problems:
1. Ageing of the mycelium. The mycelium gets old quickly and this reduces the quality
2. A bag of spawn for example can overheat to the point of death in less than 24 hours.
Therefore, we will add a temperature logger and/or a gelpack to your “Regular courier” (shipments below 150 liters) if needed. When it is too hot (> 20°C – 68°F), we cannot ship and your shipment will be postponed.
We organise transports “Keep cool road transport” (quantities above 150 liters of spawn) all year round as a free service. We add a temperature logger upon request.
As we said: We cannot ship every product to every place in the world, all year round. When making plans, it is therefore advisable to check whether your transport is taking place during a warm season or through/to a warm region, so that you can avoid delaying your order due to too hot temperatures.
After making your order, you will receive your personal transport offer through email. Be sure to check and double check yourself the temperature conditions of your environment, the weak points in the link (e.g. prolonged waiting time in warm temperatures before goods transfer), so that you can avoid catastrophes.
We are convinced that our prices are market based.
Spawn is a living product and must be transported in the best possible way. We only work with transport companies we trust, and we organise your transport as a service, not to make a profit. It is certainly also allowed to organise pickup yourself if that suits you better.
We will propose the best transport option for you. We cannot ship every product to every place in the world all year round, due to temperature conditions. For this reason, you will receive your personal transport offer through email, not automated in this website. These are our options:
- “Keep cool courier”. We do not offer this service. Very expensive, no guaranteed cold chain.
- “Regular courier”. Our favorite shipping option for small shipments < 150 liters. We will add a temperature logger and/or a gelpack to your shipment if needed. When it is too hot (> 20°C), we cannot ship and your shipment will be postponed. Our shipper is usually DHL, they will send you a Track & Trace code to you in an email.
- “Keep cool road transport”. Our favorite shipping option for quantities > 150 liters of spawn. We organise these transports for you all year round as a free service. We add a temperature logger upon request.
- “Keep cool airfreight”. Only if there is really no other alternative. Good to know:
- It is very expensive, typically the cost of transport is 3-5 times higher than the cost of the goods.
- We do not organise this transport for you beyond the Belgian airport.
- We do not take responsability beyond the Belgian airport. We advise you to get a good insurance.
- It’s your responsibility to inspect if the shipment has any damage. There is a strict protocol how to do this. Read our FAQ’s for the correct protocol.
- We only accept shipments if there is a direct flight from Belgium.
- We remain responsible for the quality of the goods as they leave Mycelia. Our traceability system will prove the freshness of the mycelium at departure, and the temperature logger will register the temperature during the entire journey.
- We cannot assist with claims regarding overheated or otherwise damaged mycelium
- We deliver the correct documents with our goods. We cannot be held responsible for shipments being delayed because of additional customs’ requirements
You will receive your personal transport price through email.
No, we do not offer this service. On one hand it is very expensive, on the other hand we cannot guarantee a cold chain. However, we can offer other transport options:
- “Regular courier”. Our preferred shipping option for small shipments < 150 litres. If necessary, we add a temperature logger and/or gel pack to your shipment. If it is too warm (> 20°C – 68°F), we cannot ship and your shipment will be delayed.
- “Cool road transport”. Our preferred shipping option for quantities > 150 litres of spawn. We organise this transport for you all year round as a free service. Upon request we can add a temperature logger and gelpacks.
- “Keep cool air freight”. Only if there really is no other alternative.
Yes. All our courier shipments are Express deliveries.
Below your selected product, under the tab “Documents, VAT and Transport” you will find all the relevant information about shipments. We will always propose the best transport option for you.
Most small shipments are sent with the courier service DHL, they will send you a Track & Trace code in an email.
Yes, on the following conditions:
- If you have made your payment arrangements in advance with us.
- Make an appointment through email.
- You are welcome between 8:30 and 16:00.
Upon arrival, go to the reception and they will help you out. Be aware that we do not have a physical shop. If you pay cash, make sure the amount is correct.
All our products are packed in breathing packaging from Sac O2. They are safe from contamination during transport as long as they are kept dry.
Depending on your product and order size, we have different packaging solutions. Usually, we pack our products in boxes with holes. This improves the air circulation in the cooling room / in the truck
PAYMENT & DOCUMENTS
We accept bank transfer or credit card payments. The accepted credit cards are VISA, Mastercard and Carte Bleue.
The transfer data can be found in the mail with the payment link that you receive from us.
The payment link only works for holders of VISA, Mastercard and Carte Bleue. If you are not a holder of one of hese cards, you’ll have to make a bank transfer. You find all payment data on the email.
Payment via the payment link (VISA, Mastercard and Carte Bleue) or making a bank transfer (details on our offer) are our only options.
If you entered “bank transfer” and you wish to pay with a credit card or vice versa: forward your confirmation email to firstname.lastname@example.org and explain us your problem.
If you did not pay the full amount, we will not produce or ship your order. We produce only after receiving your payment, unless agreed otherwise. If we do not receive payment after sending our offer, we will not start the production of your ordered goods.
Know that our offer has a standard validity period of 3 months. If you have not paid within this period but still wish to order and thus pay, you should check with our back office whether the given offer is still valid before you make the payment.
Our prices are in our webshop. Just select your product and indicate the quantity: the unit price appears (and gets less expensive the more you order of the same product). Additional costs such as transport or the cost of certain documents are not automatically included.
After ordering through the webshop, you will receive a detailed order from us with all costs included.
We can send you a price list overview – fill out a request on this page if you need one. If you would like to be informed personally about future price changes, indicate that you wish to register for our mailings, on the same page.
Due to risk of overheating, mycelium cannot be safely shipped to anywhere in the world all year round. Therefore, we have to double check each order manually.
As a result, the transport cost is added manually, in our back office. For this reason, this website does not automatically offer you an offer with transport cost included.
There are a number of formalities indeed. We are giving you a summary below.
Mycelium cultures, spawn and other mycelium products are living organisms. They will be treated similarly to “”plant seeds”” by your customs officials. They cannot be shipped without the proper documents. Getting these documents will require an effort on both your and our side, and it will add to the cost of your invoice. Which document requirements should you expect?
The majority of countries require the following:
- Standard export documents (packing list + invoices). All standard documents are provided by us as a free service, you do not have to arrange anything for this.
- For most countries, you will need to apply for an import permit. You need to send us a copy of this licence.
- After we have received a scan of your import permit, we can apply for a phytosanitary certificate that we will attach to your delivery.
- On rare occasions, countries also require extra documents such as a certificate of origin, that you must request from your authority (Maghreb, Middle-East, etc) (LINK) or other documents. In some cases, a EUR.1 document can be a solution – see below.
- Some countries have specific restrictions on importing mycelium products, such as New Zealand and Australia (or Australia list 2)
- If there are trade agreements between your country and the EU, we can upon your request add a EUR.1 document to your export documents at a cost of 40 € per shipment. This reduces the import duties you will need to pay and may reduce the paperwork in general.
If you have questions about restrictions or extra documents, ask your own government officials. We do not know every possible restriction worldwide.
For most countries, you need an import permit (syn. import licence) for mycelium from Belgium. Through the import permit, your government approves the import of our goods into your country.
Unfortunately, there is no ready-to-use list of who does or does not need an import licence for which organism. You will have to check with the customs or with your Ministry whether it is necessary or not.
Also, we cannot apply for such a license for you. You will need to do this yourself. You will need to apply for the licence from your relevant official office (usually the Ministry of Agriculture or equivalent).
Your import permit must state EXACTLY what you intend to import.
You need to send us a copy of this import permit. As soon as we have your permit, we can apply for your phytosanitary certificate (more information see FAQ below).
Getting an import permit is sometimes a slow process. This may cause a significant delay to your mycelium shipment. Take this into account and anticipate it in advance.
You need a phytosanitary certificate if you export our goods beyond the EU (exceptions: UK, CH). You cannot buy it yourself; we – the exporters – have to get it for you. We will apply for it once you have sent us a copy of your import permit. This phytosanitary certificate costs 78 EUR.
A phytosanitary certificate is an official document required by your country customs when shipping restricted articles such as plants, plant products or other regulated articles, and therefore also for all the products you buy in our webshop. This document is the proof that your products are indeed the species we claim them to be. It is an official certificate generated by the exporting country, in our case this is Belgium. In some countries (e.g US), such a certificate can be issued by the company itself, but in Belgium this is not possible.
We will request your phytosanitary certificate from our Belgian Ministry as soon as you provide us with a copy of your import permit (LINK to faq import permit).
The cost of this phyto certificate is 78.00 EUR and will be added to the invoice. This document is only valid for 1 shipment, regardless of the quantity shipped, the product(s) or the species. Part of this cost (30 EUR) is an administrative cost on our part.
On rare occasions, countries require additional documents such as a Certificate of Origin (Maghreb, Middle East, etc.).
A Certificate of Origin is a document that states the origin of the goods you have ordered, the description of the products, and the name and address of the seller and buyer.
If your country asks for a certificate, let us know and we will apply for it with our government. The cost of this document is 30 EUR.
If there are trade agreements between your country and the EU, we can add a EUR.1 document to your export documents upon your request at a cost of 40 EUR per shipment. This reduces the import duties you will need to pay and may reduce the paperwork in general. For example: if you have a EUR.1 document, your officials will probably not request for a Certificate of Origin.
That depends. The rules on VAT differ whether you are a customer from Belgium, from Europe or outside Europe:
Customers in Belgium: you are charged 6% VAT on mycelium products and 21% VAT on other products (including transport and document costs). No exceptions.
Customers inside the EU: you are charged 6% VAT on mycelium products and 21% on other products (including transport and document costs) unless if you can provide us a valid European VAT-number. Fill out this number in your personal account on this website. If you have a valid EU VAT-number, you will not pay VAT on your invoice. Not sure if you number is valid? Check the VIES website.
Customers outside of the EU: you do not pay VAT to us, as long as we have export documents. If we have to ship your goods to a location in the EU (including Belgium), we do not have such documents. In that case, you will need to pay VAT: 6% on mycelium products, 21% on other products (including transport and document costs).
Yes, you will.
Consult your local customs officials to receive more information. Every country has different import fees for mycelium from the EU.
Our UK customers do not have to pay an import fee (but other costs apply – see FAQ below “What are the changes as a result of Brexit?”)
There are quite a few changes indeed. Since the Brexit, shipments between the EU and the UK (except Northern Ireland) have become export shipments. Since we have exported for more than 45 years, this is not problematic from our end. For our British customers however, there are a few important changes. But no worries: since the 1st of January 2021 we have assisted our UK customers just like before. Since the Brexit, this has changed:
1) Trade between the EU and the UK is indeed more complicated. Thanks to a late deal, there is no import tax on our products from the UK government. On the other hand, there is a “duty + administration cost” to be paid. This cost basically covers the workings of the customs services of the UK and the shipping company. This cost is charged to you by the shipping company.
If you are a regular professional company using pallet freight, this is done by an importer where you can open an account.
If it is a courier service such as DHL, there are two options:
- Companies holding an account: the delivery is swift. The DHL invoice for the duties + taxes is sent to you after delivery
- Individuals: you will receive a SMS with a link to make the DHL payment. After receiving your payment, the goods will be delivered. If you do not pay this amount, DHL will not deliver. For the quality of your spawn, it is essential that you pay as soon as possible. Important: we cannot be held responsible for losses of quality or time as a result of such late payments.
We cannot predict exactly how much these costs are, but they are considerable. Expect an amount between 10 and 40 £ per shipment.
2) The transport price has been impacted due to formality issues at customs. This cost is included in our invoices, as DHL has adapted its transport prices accordingly. Example: in January 2021, this cost was 0.25 EUR per kg with a minimum amount of 5 EUR per shipment. Example: for 8 bags of spawn = 2 boxes = 24 kg, the surcharge on transport in January 2021 was 6 EUR.
3) Customs clearance is required on both sides of the Channel. This should not cause any problems. We provide ALL the necessary paperwork, without charging any additional cost.
Note: there are no foreseeable restrictions on the trade of “spawn” as such, or on any mushroom product for that matter.
Shipments within the European Union (including Northern Ireland): Free trade zone, only delivery note required. We provide this document as a free service.
Shipments to Switzerland (CH) and the United Kingdom (UK): only the standard export documents are required: packing list + invoices. All these standard documents are provided by us as a free service.
Phytosanitary certificates are not required.
Shipments to Norway (N): the situation changed in March 2021. Standard export documents are required: packing list + invoices. All these standard documents are provided by us as a free service. Alas, since 2021, a phytosanitary certificate is also required – this adds an extra document cost of 78 EUR to each shipment. Import permit is not required.