CAN YOU TEACH ME?
Magda Verfaillie, founder of Mycelia: “I started the school because I know from experience how big the need is for consultancy and training in our sector. After having started my own mycelium production company many years ago, I encountered a lot of beginners’ problems. I felt frustrated because I did not find an institution or place where I could learn my trade, and I had to overcome each one of my mistakes at high cost.”
“And I was not alone: a lot of people were suffering needlessly because there was no proper exchange platform for basic professional information.”
“When I finally became a successful mycelium producer for specialty mushrooms, I promised myself to share my knowledge for the benefit of others. This was the basis of the school, and it still is.”
Our current courses are designed for professionals. If you are a hobbyist, but if you’re working on a professional level, then our trainings are definitely interesting. For every producer – big or small – we teach relevant matters such as the ideal conditions for the production of your spawn and substrate, how to prevent infections, how to clean properly, how to maintain a high level at all times, etc.
If you are a hobbyist who wants to grow 5 kgs of mushrooms per year, then our courses are too expensive for what you actually need.
We have developed a course about Mycomaterials and Biofabrication, but currently we do not have an edition scheduled.
Too much to list here. But in short, we will teach you all the basics you need to cultivate filamentous fungi industrially. The best way to explore our programs is here.
No, we can not teach you how to grow these MUSHROOMS, or how to make Agaricus bisporus compost.
But we can teach you all about the cultivation of Agaricus bisporus SPAWN in our spawn production group training. Check out the training here.
Do you really want to learn how to grow Agaricus bisporus mushrooms or compost? Then join a course in the Netherlands from Mark den Ouden’s “Mushroom Office” (https://www.mushroomoffice.com/).
Between application and confirmed participation, there are the following steps:
- Register here.
- You will now receive a confirmation e-mail with the message “We have received your application” (check your spam folder if you did not get the email). At this point, you are not yet in the list of participants. We can reserve you a place while you make up your mind, but only for a few days.
- You will find a payment link in the mail. Once we have received your payment on our account, you are fully registered and we will send you a confirmation mail.
- If you need to get a visa for the EU, you need to apply well on beforehand as this process may take a long time. We can write an invitation letter upon request.
- Once you are sure to have a visa, you can make your travel arrangements.
- A few weeks before the training starts, you receive the practical information
If you registered, but you canceled nor paid, we will send you a reminder. In case you do not respond or pay after receiving this reminder, we will assume that you no longer wish to participate. Your place will go to the next candidate on the list.
Your registration is complete once we have received your payment on our account.
Minimum 3 working days later, you will receive a confirmation e-mail from us. Please also check your spam folder and add Mycelia to your safe contact list.
We are industry professionals with high levels of knowledge, with hands-on experience and a long tradition of consultancy and production.
Every trainer has his/her own specialisation, ranging from research over spawn and substrate production to mushroom growing and bag development.
The training is in English.
However, to a certain extent, we can accommodate French-, German- and Spanish-speaking participants. But we cannot translate everything: English will always be the main language and the documents are exclusively provided in the English language.
21 people in a group training.
We have never had to cancel a group training due to a lack of subscriptions, but we do indeed have a minimum limit.
- We cannot organise a group training for the production of Substrates and Mushrooms for less than 10 people.
- For the Spawn course, the minimum is 5 people.
Should we ever have to cancel due to limited subscriptions, we will refund 100% of the course fee.
We refund your course fee for 100%.
Because of Covid-19 this happened in 2020, when we had a training planned in September. The increased infection numbers forced us to cancel the course. We refunded everybody for 100% of the course fee, except for a few people who expressedly asked us to keep the money as a payment for the next course.
Yes you can. These are the conditions:
- Canceling up to 15 days before training start day,100% refund minus bank fees.
- Canceling within 15 days of training start day: 50% refund minus bank fees.
These are the prices of our different courses (VAT not included):
- Substrate and Mushroom Production course: 1180 EUR
- Spawn Production course: 1480 EUR
- Or go for a discount of 532 EUR: Combine the Substrate and the Spawn Production course to get 20% discount: 1480 EUR + 1180 EUR = 2128 EUR (instead of 2660 EUR)
- Mycomaterials and Biofabrication: 1180 EUR
- The course
- A syllabus of the course, both paper and on USB.
- During the Substrate and Mushroom Production course: company visits on the last day
- A light lunch every day of the course
- Snacks, juice, water, tea and coffee during breaks.
- Welcome dinner the first evening, with an evening visit to the beautiful city of Ghent.
- Dinners are at your own expense, except for the welcome dinner on the first evening. The B&B provides a simple one-option evening menu every day during group trainings.
- Board and lodging are not included, but you get a discount for staying in “B&B De Steenhove” if you book through us.
- You can book the nearby accommodation “B&B De Steenhove” directly with us as a free service to enjoy a 10% price reduction on the Booking.com prices. If you book through Booking.com, you do not get this reduction.
- If you wish to eat outdoors, the B&B has free electric cars available for its guests.
You can pay by bank transfer or credit card.
Sure you can.
But here is your best deal: “B&B De Steenhove”, located 200m from Mycelia, offers a great quality Bed & Breakfast formula with individual rooms. We strongly recommend that all participants stay here, because of the proximity to Mycelia and because the B&B offers great networking opportunities for you to enjoy in the evenings.
You can book “B&B De Steenhove” directly with us as a free service to enjoy a 10% price reduction on the Booking.com prices.
If you wish to make a booking with the owners directly, just use the reference MYCELIA to receive the 10% discount.
Notes: if you book through Booking.com, you do not get this reduction. Do not make a double booking. If you are making your booking yourself, let us know.
Your course fee includes:
- A light lunch every day.
- Snacks, juice, water, tea and coffee during breaks.
- Welcome dinner on the first night, with an evening visit to the beautiful city of Gent.
Other dinners are at your own expense. The B&B provides a simple one-option evening menu every day during group trainings. If you wish to eat outdoors, the B&B has free electric cars available for its guests.
Make sure to specify any allergies or diets on the application form.
Sure. Just let us know when you make your application and we will adapt the catering to your needs.
We have catered for students with the following diets/allergies the past years: halal, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, lactose free and (pea)nut allergy.
Taxis from the airport are expensive. You can get to Mycelia comfortably by train to Hansbeke train station.
We will pick you up from the train station and take you to the B&B. Please send us a message at least thirty minutes before you arrive in Hansbeke so we can organize for a car to be there (you will receive our contact details after your payment). This is especially important if you will be arriving either very early or very late!
The closest airport is Brussels National Airport. It takes 2 hours by train or 1 hour by taxi to cover the distance to Mycelia.
Sure you can choose another airport, but be careful. The course ends on the last day around 17h. It takes 4 hours to get to Brussels South (Charleroi) and 5 hours to get to Amsterdam, Eindhoven, Paris or London. Do not book your flight too early!
Citizens from the EU can travel freely to and from Belgium. Citizens from outside the EU need a visa.
If you need a visa for the EU, you should apply for it well in advance as the process can take a long time. Upon request, we can write an invitation letter for your embassy.
Due to the global Covid-19 pandemic, the Belgian government also requests a negative Covid test in certain critical periods. Please consult the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your country, or any other relevant web page with up to date travel advice.
Yes, you do.
Every participant also receives a USB stick at the end of the training, containing the complete course and some extras.